Mercury turns retrograde [21 Virgo 50] – August 23, 2023 (20:59 GMT+1)
The planet of communication Mercury is retrograde from August 23rd to September 15th, i.e. it’s moving backwards through the zodiac. This often coincides with communication chaos when the messenger of the Gods, fleet-footed Mercury, takes a break and hangs up his winged sandals.
Post goes missing, technology breaks down, dates get muddled, plans go awry, appliances go wonky, mishaps, delays and misunderstandings occur and the world goes slightly crazy. Plans can unravel when Mercury turns retrograde and you end up having to wait on information and other people. Clarity goes for a walk on its own.
Yes, you may lose things while Mercury’s retrograde but sometimes, you find things that have been lost for ages. Either way, go searching on this Mercury retrograde phase and see what you discover.
Mercury R Virgo
Mercury spends most of this retrograde phase in Virgo, a star sign in which it’s strong. Mercury in Virgo is the analyst, the perfectionist. Therefore, this is an ideal combination for paying attention to the details of life, for writing, observation and insight.
When Mercury turns retrograde in Virgo, this is a good time to get your head down and busy yourself with a project, to focus on research, pay attention to your work, health and body and how you serve others or the earth. These are Virgo activities.
It’s a positive time to remember the re-words: to review, revise, reconsider, reflect, rework. Here are some more ways of harnessing the Mercury Retrograde planetary energy:
- take a step back and leave the big decisions for another time
- give yourself permission to change your mind
- look at life from a fresh perspective – upside down, back-to-front; think outside of the box
- chase up old connections, reconnect with people from your past
- don’t believe everything you hear
- be patient, keep your options open
- have plans B, C and D up your sleeve, especially if you’re travelling
- be flexible, be adaptable, go with the flow and see where life leads you
Mercury Trine Jupiter
Plus, during this retrograde period, Mercury is having a special liaison with the biggest and best planet Jupiter. These two planets meet not once but three times.
Together, Mercury and Jupiter can represent big ideas or inspirational communications. Lean into your faith, remain hopeful and you could not only survive but thrive during this Mercury retrograde phase.
Here are the Mercury Retrograde all-important dates and degrees:
- August 4, 2023: Mercury reaches 8° Virgo – shadow period begins
- August 10, 2023: Mercury Virgo trine Jupiter Taurus – good news, a brilliant idea?
- August 23, 2023: Mercury turns retrograde [21 Virgo 50] – where are plans delayed, what’s not working out?
- September 4, 2023: Mercury R Virgo trine Jupiter Taurus – what comes to light?
- September 6, 2023: Sun conjunct Mercury retrograde cazimi [13° Virgo] – a moment of insight or clarity?
- September 15, 2023: Mercury turns direct [8 Virgo 02] – what’s hidden emerges into the light
- September 25, 2023: Mercury trine Jupiter R Taurus [14° Virgo] – a time to act on what you’ve discovered
- September 30, 2023: Mercury reaches 21° Virgo – the shadow period ends
Mercury Retrograde is a reminder that ultimately you’re not in control – life is. Yet, you can choose how you respond to events and work with the timing of astrology, so you’re in flow rather than banging your head against a brick wall.
Give into this retrograde phase, allow yourself to relax, take a step back, view life objectively and see what’s revealed.
7 Top Tips
Here are 7 Top Tips on how best to use Mercury’s retrograde phase through the earth sign Virgo
- Read a Good Book. When a planet is retrograde, its energy turns inward rather than outward. It’s not the best time for taking action or making a big decision and inner work is recommended. A lovely way to slow down the pace and relax, to escape the busy-ness of life is to bury your nose in a good book. Line up some top reads for the weeks ahead.
- Keep A Journal. Virgo is the star sign of the writer and writing on a daily basis can help you tap into your creative source. Whether it works for you to rise early and pen some morning pages or you prefer to take time out in the middle of the day, keep a journal. This will help if you feel confused – get your feelings and thoughts out on the page.
- Reorganise Your Office. Virgo is the star sign which rules administration. When Mercury is in Virgo, order reigns. Yet with Mercury retrograde, it’s even more important to pay attention to detail, to know where things are and have a system. This is a positive time to reorganise your office and sort out paperwork, so you have important pieces of information close to hand. Important: this isn’t the time to throw out important correspondence that you might need at a later date.
- Adopt A New Habit. Earth signs like Virgo understand the benefits of regular practise and it often takes time for a new habit to take hold. While Mercury’s retrograde, where would you benefit from doing one extra activity day in, day out? This might be linked to health and your body, Virgo’s domain, or a craft or skill. Adopting a new habit may help you feel as if you’re making progress, which is especially important when Mercury’s on go slow. One step at a time.
- Manage Your Time Well. Virgo is a star sign linked to efficiency and productivity. Little and often is the recommended way to learn information rather than long drawn-out sleepless nights of study. Manage your time well.
- Rework Your Mind. Mercury is the planet which rules the mind so work on your mindset while Mercury’s retrograde. Whether you want to unlearn automatic behaviour patterns, gain control over your thoughts and feelings or you simply want to understand the workings of your mind, here’s your opportunity. Make navel-gazing a constructive activity, rather than wallow in self-defeat and critical thinking.
- Choose Your Words Carefully. When Mercury is retrograde, this is the time to choose your words carefully. What you say may have consequences. If in doubt, take your time. Respond gently to life rather than react instinctively. Keep your options open, be flexible and notice how your actions impact other peoples’ lives. Choose to respond to life with kindness and compassion.
There you go, 7 ways to help keep you sane, feel more in control and flourish, even while Mercury’s retrograde.
Other people might not know that the communication planet’s on go slow, but you do. Normal service will be resumed in three weeks time.
If you would like astrological wisdom in your inbox every Sunday, my weekly horoscopes & astrology newsletter is written for you. Many of my subscribers will tell you it’s the best thing about Sundays and rely on the information & insights in the newsletter to plan their week ahead.
Don’t miss out! You can sign up for my most popular service here: Weekly. Monthly & yearly payment plans available.