Mars Aries square Saturn Capricorn
– August 24, 2020 (19:19 GMT+1)
Today, action planet Mars squares up to authority planet Saturn. This is a powerful square aspect as both planets are in their sign of rulership: Mars in Aries and Saturn in Capricorn.
This clash makes me think of a bulldozer breaking down walls or a demolition job. The two toughest planets facing off. Here are some ideas on how this epic encounter may play out for you.
Saturn slows you down, either because someone says No or your energy levels dip. Mars in Aries is angry and assertive. If you’re up against the authorities or an immovable force, you have to work harder or push more than usual. Alternatively, you decide the timing’s not right and, for now, you back down and choose not to go into battle.
Mars rules action, Saturn rules boundaries or obstacles. Mars wants to get somewhere fast – no distractions, whereas Saturn wants to slam on the brakes. Mars says Go; Saturn says Stop. Which one wins?
Mars is action, brute force, anger and passion. Saturn’s lessons are to face facts, be sensible, create a realistic plan, start from the bottom and work your way up, build one brick at a time.
Your plans may be halted now or you slam on the brakes. It’s time to decide whether you keep pushing or stop and change tack. A lot depends on your current situation and how strong you’re feeling.
This symbolism is going to be different for each of you, depending what’s foreground in your life. And, whether you identify strongly with forceful Mars. Or, whether you’re more cautious and choose to play the long game like Saturn.
If you have Mars and Saturn in hard aspect (square, opposition or conjunction) in your birth chart, this will be familiar to you. It’s a push-pull combination – you act decisively, with courage and strength, then fear, doubt or limitation kick in and you stop or give up – until your energy returns and you crack on again.
This power-house duo add grit and determination, which is sometimes what’s needed to get things moving. Born with these two planets in close opposition, I know personally what they’re about, their strengths and pitfalls.
We need these challenging aspects in our birth charts. They create friction urging you to develop and hone your levels of perseverance, persistence and patience.
Learning how to bring the two conflicting planetary energies together is the way to work with squares and oppositions in your birth chart.
For example, sometimes you need Mars’ anger to create change in your life, in our world. Yet, anger’s most effective when it’s channelled constructively and managed well – over to you, Saturn. And, you might want to take a long-term approach – Saturn – if you can’t immediately get what you want – Mars.
Horoscope Hot Spot
Wherever this combination falls in your horoscope, it’s currently a hot spot. Today, Mars is at 26 Aries square to Saturn at 26 Capricorn. There will be another square aspect between these two planets on September 29th, when they clash at 25 Aries/Capricorn.
This is because Mars is slowing down ready to turn retrograde on September 9th at 28 Aries. Plus, Saturn is slowing down ready to turn direct on September 29th at 25 Capricorn. In other words, these two planets are in constant square aspect throughout September.
Consider what this means for you and what you’re working with. Where do you need to dig deep, what are you hanging in with? Also, notice what’s getting in your way and stopping you – is it fear or a limitation that’s real or external?
In my own life, I know what this is about as my Moon is at 24 Libra, ruler of my IC (base of horoscope). I’m ready to close the door on a chapter and start a new adventure. It’s about letting go of my home. And, redefining what home means to me.
Yet, with major obstacles in 2020 like Brexit and Covid, moving on is a real challenge. Being Mars-ruled, however, my gut instinct is telling me to keep moving, keep putting one foot in front of the other, even if I can’t get directly from A to B and my plans change along the way.
If you have a planet/angle that falls between 24-28 degrees of the cardinal signs, Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn, you too are currently fired up. You may feel frustrated but you may also feel the need to rise to a challenge in your life. Or, to get angry and be pro-active for yourself or other people.
It’s likely to be an easier challenge if you have key planets/angles at 24-28 degrees of the other earth signs, Taurus, Virgo, but requires determination.
Know there’s another option available too, which is to stop, rework your strategy, conserve your energy and choose later in the year to make your move.
Mars is back to direct action on November 13th. It really depends how badly you want to go into battle or get things moving. And, for some of you, the timing may not be right and you choose to play the long-term card.
What It Means For You
Here are the areas of your horoscope where Mars and Saturn are currently strong. Read your Sun sign & Ascendant Sign:
- Aries: personal goals, physical body, self-belief – career, vocation, future path, authority, parents
- Taurus: inner work, preparation, caring for self/others – travel, education, hopes & dreams, the bigger picture
- Gemini: friends, group activities, politics, social issues – joint finances, values, taboo areas
- Cancer: career, vocation, future path, authority, parents – personal relationships, professional partnerships, contracts
- Leo: travel, education, hopes & dreams, the bigger picture – work, health, lifestyle, service to others
- Virgo: joint finances, values, taboo areas – children, lovers, creative projects, entertainment, speculation
- Libra: personal relationships, professional partnership, contracts – home & property, family, the past, where you come from
- Scorpio: work, health, lifestyle, service to others – communication, finding your voice, community, neighbours, siblings
- Sagittarius: children, lovers, creative projects, entertainment, speculation – money, possessions, resources, values, self-worth
- Capricorn: home & property, family, the past, where you come from – personal goals, physical body, self-belief
- Aquarius: communication, finding your voice, community, neighbours, siblings – inner work, preparation, caring for self/others
- Pisces: money, possessions, resources, values, self-worth – friends, group activities, politics, social issues
Mars is such a key planet this year as it triggers the big three in Capricorn. It’s important to know where Mars in Aries is firing up your horoscope as it digs in for a six month-stay. And, where the powerful square aspects fall as Mars clashes with Jupiter, Pluto and Saturn in Capricorn.
Here’s the pattern:
- Mars Aries square Jupiter Capricorn – August 4, 2020
- Mars Aries square Pluto Capricorn – August 13, 2020
- Mars Aries square Saturn Capricorn – August 24, 2020
- Mars *R Aries square Saturn Capricorn – September 29, 2020
- Mars R Aries square Pluto Capricorn – October 9, 2020
- Mars R Aries square Jupiter Capricorn – October 19, 2020
- Mars Aries square Pluto Capricorn – December 23, 2020
- Mars Taurus square Saturn Aquarius – January 13, 2021
- Mars Taurus square Jupiter Aquarius – January 23, 2021
The Mars-Jupiter clash on August 4th was exact during the devastating explosion in Beirut, Lebanon. Mars in Aries is explosive, Jupiter expands what it touches. This was also the day of the controversial exam results in Scotland – Jupiter ruling education, Mars ruling anger.
Fast forward to August 13th, the day of the Mars-Pluto clash and more anger & controversy over exam results in England – this time the anger made a difference and the discriminatory and unfair system (Pluto Capricorn) was scrapped.
During this week’s Mars-Saturn square aspect on August 24th, there are wildfires out of control in California. Mars rules fire, Saturn rules devastation, death.
These are just a few of the events mirroring the Mars squares – showing how powerful they are – no doubt you’ll have more examples from around the world and on a personal level. Engage directly with Mars now and discern what’s needed in your own life.
If you would like to keep up-to-date with your astrology at the start of every week, my weekly horoscopes & astrology newsletter are for you. Join today and become a Weekly Subscriber here: Weekly.
*R = Mars retrograde