New Moon [21 Virgo 59] – September 15, 2023 (02:40 GMT+1)
Mercury turns direct [08 Virgo 02] – September 15, 2023 (10:57 GMT+1)
This is a significant week of turning points and it all takes place on September 15th, depending where you live in the world. It’s not often that there’s a New Moon, a symbol of new beginnings, and communication planet Mercury turns direct on the same day. Plus, they both take place in the same star sign Virgo, emphasising one particular area of your horoscope.
New Moon, New Beginnings
Traditionally, you set your intentions at the time of the New Moon. Then, you make a wish when you first see the crescent Moon in the night sky, which will be visible at the weekend.
At the exact moment of the New Moon, the Sun and Moon sit side-by-side in the zodiac in earth sign Virgo. Virgo is the star sign of order and analysis, list-making and strategy, resourcefulness and measured behaviour. It’s linked to work and routine, lifestyle and health, self-care and service to others.
Therefore, this is an excellent New Moon to start a new habit or begin any activity that feeds you, nurtures you, grounds you and strengthens you. The call of this New Moon in Virgo is to continue living your life well, restore order, calm the mind and not let fear or worry take hold.
A New Moon in a feminine earth sign is the ideal time to put one foot in front of the other, to allow the constancy and beauty of nature to soothe your soul, to be grateful for the rituals and routine of your daily life. Much nurturing and care may be needed now. Start with you, the ones you love, heal self and others, help and be of service, then gently move out into the world.
The Uranus Factor
Yet, there’s another more impulsive planetary factor involved. The earth signs are Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn and one planet in particular stands out during this New Moon. That planet is hyper-active, live-wire Uranus. At 22° Taurus, Uranus is making an exact trine aspect to both the Sun and Moon during the New Moon phase.
When Uranus is involved in a positive planetary aspect, it’s time to be spontaneous and ring the changes. Uranus is linked to technology and innovation. Uranus is the trigger and the spark that unites the collective. It’s a go-getting dynamic combination and ideal for accelerating New Moon beginnings, perhaps too fast!
Mercury Turns Direct
Plus, on the same day, September 15th, Virgo’s ruling planet Mercury turns direct in Virgo. Mercury’s the communication planet and has been retrograde or on go slow since August 23rd. There’ve been many stories of mixups, misunderstandings, transport issues, technological glitches and general confusion.
Mercury turning direct can bring news or information to light. What’s hidden can be revealed. It’s an ideal time to push things through, to restart the motor of life and get things moving. Chase people up, untangle muddles, plan something new.
Here are some more top tips on how to make the most of Mercury’s change of direction:
- try again – second chances are a classic Mercury direct theme
- sort out a misunderstanding
- start afresh – perfect advice considering the New Moon in Virgo
- speak with confidence
- clear your mind, seek clarity
- launch a new project, idea or plan
- write a list – keep it short, deal with what’s most important or urgent in your life
- do what you say you will, recommit to a promise
- handle any technological or transport issues
- plug back in, renew your energy & focus
It’s a definitive time of turning points – how are you going to use this dynamic planetary energy in your life?
Here’s a quick guide to the areas of your life highlighted by this week’s New Moon and Mercury turning direct in Virgo. Read both your Sun sign and your Ascendant sign:
- Virgo: Self, image, name, your identity
- Libra: Retreat, quiet time, seclusion, service to others, introspection
- Scorpio: Friends, groups, social networks, social concerns, hopes and wishes
- Sagittarius: Career, vocation, status, your role in the public eye
- Capricorn: Travel, education, learning, your philosopy of life
- Aquarius: Joint finances, sex, life’s mysteries
- Pisces: Relationships, your one-to-one’s both personal and professional
- Aries: Health, work, your everyday lifestyle and routine
- Taurus: Children, creativity, entertainment, love affairs, luck
- Gemini: Home, family, your past, where you come from
- Cancer: Communication, siblings, neighbours, your local community
- Leo: Money, resources, your personal values
Virgo is a star sign that sometimes gets a bad press for playing small but the best way to create change in your life is to take one small step at a time towards your chosen goal. Making big demands on yourself doesn’t tend to pay off but create new daily practices and you can slowly and effectively change the habits of a lifetime.
Wait until the silver slither of the crescent moon emerges in the night sky a couple of nights after the New Moon date. Then, you make your New Moon wish and tend to your garden of life.
Wishing You A Happy New Moon
If you would like more astrological wisdom in your inbox every Sunday morning ready for the week ahead, my weekly horoscopes & astrology newsletter is written for you. Many of my subscribers will tell you it’s the best thing about Sundays and rely on my information and insights to plan ahead successfully. Don’t miss out. You can sign up for my most popular service here: Weekly Horoscopes & Newsletter.