Cancer and Capricorn are the signs which represent home and work, family and authority. They represent your ties to the past and the commitments you make which help shape and build your future.
This month’s Full Moon on July 19th 2016 falls at 27 Capricorn 40 and is squared by unpredictable Uranus, preparing to station retrograde at 24 Aries 30 on July 29th 2016.
Uranus’ energy is erratic, it wants to split off, to create change for the sake of it. Sometimes there’s magic in new beginnings & reinvention and sometimes it’s madness to let go of the things and people you know and love. It can feel even crazier when outside events disturb your peace, your equilibrium.
Yet in the midst of instability and uncertainty, at this month’s Full Moon, there’s an invitation to stand strong, to honour the past, to respect all that’s solid and enduring in your life, to practice ritual and hold true to tradition.
Action planet Mars at 25 Scorpio 38 is starting to pull away from the difficult inconjunct aspect to Uranus which has dominated July’s stars. This is the ‘blind spot’, the things you can’t see, outside events which are explosive, unexpected. Mars in Scorpio is powerful but it’s how you wield your power which is all important with this combination. Scorpio contains within it access to deep emotions, both healing and harmful. Choose wisely.
The Pillars of Time
Yet this Full Moon is about Saturn, Capricorn’s ruling planet and this is because either side of the Full Moon, there is a supportive planetary aspect involving Saturn. This is the strong support, the edifice which has lasted over time, immovable, immense (n.b. the photo of Stonehenge above).
On Tuesday 19th July, Mercury (communication) in Leo trines Saturn in Sagittarius. On Wednesday 20th July, Venus (relating) in Leo trines Saturn in Sagittarius. These aspects don’t connect to the degree of the Full Moon but they are the pillars either side of the Full Moon.
This is about finding what you love and doing it well, making a commitment that stems from a place of confidence, respect or esteem, recognising that you can’t always build lasting structures overnight but with hard work, discipline, focus and regular effort, you can hold true to what you believe in and work steadily towards your goals.
Ultimately the Full Moon in Capricorn is the Full Moon of ambition, the long-term view, building a safe and secure future for you and your family. Here are the areas highlighted by this Full Moon depending on your own Sun Sign:
- Aries – home, family – work, status, responsibility
- Taurus – communication, neighbours, siblings, local neighbourhood – travel, study, exploration
- Gemini – personal finances, possessions – other peoples’ money, money owed
- Cancer – image, self-identity, personal goals – relationships, other people
- Leo – retreat, secrets, self-undoing – work, service, health
- Virgo – friends, groups, society – children, creativity, entertainment
- Libra – work, status, responsibility – home, family
- Scorpio – travel, study, exploration – communication, neighbours, siblings
- Sagittarius – other peoples’ money, money owed – personal finances, possessions
- Capricorn – relationships, other people – image, self-identity, personal goals
- Aquarius – work, service, health – retreat, secrets, self-undoing
- Pisces – children, creativity, entertainment – friends, groups, society
Remember that the Full Moon is an opposition so it’s how you balance the different areas of your life, how you allow them to complement one another and work together in unison rather than create division or enmity.
Where in your life do you need to stand strong? Where is the structure, the strength, the foundations that refuse to bend or give in? This is the perfect Full Moon to reflect on your past, to acknowledge what holds you firm in life and to hone your future goals.
The Full Moon takes place at the following dates/times:
- London: Tuesday 19th July – 23:57 (GMT +1)
- New York: Tuesday 19th July – 18:57 (EDT)
- Sydney: Wednesday 20th July – 08:57 (GMT +10)